Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Instaled battery, charger, and bilge pump


The Columbia 26K doesn't come standard with an electric bilge pump. The previous owner had installed a Rule 1100 gph automatic pump by setting it on top of the keel housing and holding it down with the cockpit panel. I wanted something that would keep the bilge drier, and be a bit more convenient.

Based on some photos from the Columbia 26 Mk-II Yahoo group, I bought a Beckson 8" clear centered deck plate, a Rule 25D 500 gph non-automatic pump, a through-hull, and float switch. Then I proceeded to cut two holes in my boat (!). Here's the hole for the deck plate, centered 9 1/2 inches from the front of the settee.

Once I had the hole in place, I mounted the deck plate in it. Then I drilled out a 1 1/8" hole in the stern for the discharge, installed a through-hull with 3m 5200, and attached the hose with hose clamps. Once it was attached at the outside, I shoved the open end up under the deck to the new deck plate. I put the float switch and fuse in the positive side line. Then I attached the pump to the hose, wired it up to the battery (as Don Casey recommends), and put the whole lot down in the hole.

This arrangement keeps bilge down to about 1/2 inch of water. I'd like it dry, but I'm not sure how to acheive that. Also, I haven't figured out how to get the float switch mounted to the bottom of the bilge. I don't want to drill into the outside of my hull. I'll figure something out soon, I hope.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home